2018 is the 200th anniversary of the publication of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
2018 is the 200th anniversary of the publication of
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
To celebrate Frankenstein’s 200th anniversary, we are launching a competition in association with Frankenweek@UL, which runs from 22nd– 31st October.
If you think you could be the next Mary Shelley, keep reading…
The Ogham Stone welcomes submissions of writing in the category of horror/ghost story. The prize is €100 for the best overall piece as well as publication in The Ogham Stone 2019.
Judges: Martin Dyar and Matt Hayward
- Submitted work should be unpublished and original
- Poems should not exceed 40 lines
- Prose should not exceed 2,500 words
- Entries should be submitted as an MS Word document (.doc or .docx) with numbered pages. The title should be clearly indicated on the first page. Please do not use your name or include identifying information in the document.
- Authors are limited to 2 submissions only.
- There is no entry fee
- All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday 30th of November 2018
- Submissions that fall outside of the guidelines will be disqualified.
Small Print: Judging will be carried out blind. The decision of the judge is final. We cannot offer feedback nor enter into correspondence with authors about their work or about the final decision. Canvassing will disqualify. The winner will be notified before the announcement is made.
We’re delighted to announce a competition we’ll be running over the next couple of weeks.
Professor Joseph O’Connor – the Chair of Creative Writing in UL – has very generously donated three signed copies of his bestselling new book ‘The Thrill of It All’ to the Ogham Stone Literary and Arts Journal.
These would make the ideal Christmas gift for anybody who has a love of Irish literature or even their own fond rock and roll memories!
All you have to do to be in with a chance to win a signed copy is fulfil one of the following tasks:
- Follow us on Facebook and share any of our posts on the competition
- Follow us on Twitter and retweet any of our tweets about the competition
We’ll announce the winners when we close our call for submission in a couple of weeks.
Good luck and don’t forget to get your poetry, prose or fiction submissions to us asap!
See below for just a tiny taster of the critical praise heaped on ‘The Thrill of it All’!
“O’Connor writes with such passion, such precision, such beautiful sentences, with such an ear for language and with such knowledge and hilarity that this book could only come from an extremely gifted Rock’n’Roll obsessive. A BRILLIANT AND VITAL DOCUMENT.”
“A valentine to that endangered species, the rock and roll band, and a homage to the magic produced by humans playing music in a room.”
“Completely amazing. So funny you have to put it down to laugh. Then very moving.”
JOHN BOYNE, AUTHOR OF THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS.
“Evocative and vibrant, poignant and witty”
“A brilliantly conceived and touching novel.”
“This book is a must.”